Yes or no — no answer to any question on the face of the planet can be more succinct than this. But asking yes or no questions can easily be one of the most entertaining, hilarious, interesting and, at times, eye-opening activities as it allows you to know quickly just where your friends fall on the issue.
There’s always room, of course, for a discussion for clarification purposes after each one.
Because there are only two possible responses, yes or no questions are some of the easiest to ask. But they can also be some of the most challenging to answer, in some instances, as there are no in-between answers.
It’s no wonder why these questions tend to elicit some of the biggest laughs, the most intriguing stares and probably the biggest revelations, too. And that is why everyone should be warned: yes or no questions should be used with utmost caution as it’s possible for them to turn everybody’s world upside down!
One of the nicest things about these questions is that they’re some of the most versatile.
Perhaps you just want to break the ice or make small talk. Or maybe you simply want a fast-paced game where there’s some sort of winner and prize at the end. Or you just probably want to get to know as many things as you can about someone who’s relatively new to the circle without any delay.
In any case, one thing remains true: yes or no questions can get the job done. It’s no wonder why these are the kinds of questions asked during a polygraph examination.
And speaking of which, you know what can make a game of yes or no questions really fun? The presence of a lie detector test kit around that’s meant to make parties even more fun and exciting! Nothing can be more electrifying than having someone answer a question with a yes or no and learn, too, whether he or she is telling the truth.
Funny yes or no questions, needless to say, are some of those that need to be asked if the goal is to give everyone a dose of joy and entertainment. It’s like hitting two birds with one stone — you get to know the individual more and make the spectators giggle, guffaw or shriek, depending on the question and/or answer.
Below, you will come across some of the most hilarious questions answerable with either a yes or no.
I divided them into different groups — questions for old friends, questions for new friends, questions for friends in the workplace, etc. — so that you can easily get your hands on some of the most appropriate but nonetheless fun questions to ask someone no matter where you are — at a party or on a plane or while video chatting.
For Long-Time Friends
Refrain from assuming that there’s nothing more to know about a person just because you have been friends with him or her for like a thousand years now. Sometimes, all it takes is a quick game of yes or no questions for you to realize for yourself that there are some things about your pal you don’t know yet.
Whether it’s been a while since the two of you last met and that’s why there’s a lot of catching up to do or it was just a couple of hours ago when you ran into each other at the supermarket, plenty of room for new info is available.
The following are some fun and sometimes enlightening yes or no questions to ask:
- Have you ever farted in public and blamed it on someone else?
- Have you ever dated someone who turned out to be a relative?
- Have you ever been caught by your parents watching porn?
- Have you ever faked your parent’s signature?
- Have you ever had a crush on a relative of mine?
- Have you ever pretended you liked someone?
- Have you ever tried sunbathing in the nude in a public place?
- Have you ever wet your pants in public?
- Have you ever gone a week without showering?
- Have you ever called someone the wrong name?
- Have you ever been mistaken for someone else?
- Have you ever cheated on someone?
- Have you ever created a fake social media account?
- Have you ever started a rumor about someone?
- Have you ever stalked a celebrity?
- Have you ever had an imaginary friend?
- Have you ever eaten leftover food from someone else’s table?
- Have you ever said something bad about me behind my back?
- Have you ever been asked to take a lie detector test?
- Have you ever accidentally shared a secret?
- Would you live the same life all over again if given the opportunity?
- Would you take the blame for a crime just to save your best friend’s life?
- Would you want to know how you are going to die if you could find out?
- Would you give up social media for a year for a million dollars?
- Would you dance in public with no music for 10 minutes for a hundred dollars?
- Would you date you?
- Is there anyone or anything in your life that you just can’t say no to?
- Is it really better to give than to receive?
- Is there one movie you could watch every day?
- Has anyone famous ever slid into your DMs?
For New Friends
It’s always nice to have new friends. Unfortunately, there’s not a lot of things to talk about since you are yet to make memories together, which you can talk about for the rest of your lives.
Spending more time with one another can help encourage the newfound relationship to grow, deepen and strengthen. And asking more questions can help the two of you get to know each other better. In many instances, asking yes or no questions is the fastest and enjoyable way to learn about each other.
Let’s check out some amusing questions your new friends can answer with either a yes or no:
- Have you ever been suspended from school?
- Have you ever cheated on a test?
- Have you ever TP’d someone’s yard?
- Have you ever gone skinny-dipping before?
- Have you ever drunk so much alcohol that you ended up blacking out?
- Have you ever stalked someone on the internet?
- Have you ever stolen candy from a kid’s Halloween stash?
- Have you ever told someone you loved him or her less than a month after meeting?
- Have you ever rushed to the ER for something embarrassing?
- Have you ever had a near-death experience?
- Have you ever not made it to the toilet?
- Have you ever thrown up on somebody?
- Have you ever been to the theater on your own?
- Have you ever kissed a poster?
- Have you ever tried skinny dipping before?
- Have you ever accidentally sent a personal text to the wrong person?
- Have you ever injured someone?
- Would you want to be a millionaire even if it meant you would never find true love?
- Would you switch bodies with someone for a day if you could?
- Would you consider dating someone who’s a lot older than you?
- Would you go back with an unfaithful ex if given the chance?
- Would people say that you’re good looking?
- Do you believe in soulmates?
- Do you believe in karma?
- Do you believe there’s life after death?
- Do you have any weird phobias or obsessions?
- Do you sleep in the nude?
- Did you ever eat a whole pizza by yourself?
- Do you have any guilty pleasure?
- Has anyone ever told you their dark secret?
For Soon-to-be Friends
There’s no need for strangers to stay as unknown people — you can turn them into friends. After all, some of your closest friends today started out as complete strangers. And that’s why someone you just met at a bar, in a foreign city or through a volunteer group could be one of the most dependable and fearful friends of yours one day in the future!
Sometimes, some of the most meaningful and impactful conversations start out as small talks. And you could miss the chance of having a wonderful friend just because you failed to engage with a nice stranger.
And that is why you should arm yourself with any of these yes or no questions the next time you head out:
- Have you ever made out with a complete stranger?
- Have you ever lied about your age in order to get into a bar?
- Have you ever danced on a tabletop or bar in public?
- Have you ever taken candy from a stranger?
- Have you ever been arrested for an embarrassing crime or misdemeanor?
- Have you ever snuck out of your house in the middle of the night?
- Have you ever played a prank on someone that went horribly wrong?
- Have you ever had a paranormal experience?
- Have you ever thrown up in public?
- Have you ever been on TV or in a movie?
- Have you ever been stalked by someone?
- Have you ever been caught dancing in front of a mirror?
- Have you ever had a bad breakup?
- Have you ever overheard something you wish you hadn’t?
- Have you ever told a crush you had feelings for him or her?
- Have you ever lost your cell phone and never got it back?
- Have you ever gotten fired from a job?
- Do you have a secret talent?
- Do you believe in love at first sight?
- Do you think that reincarnation is true?
- Do you check your horoscope?
- Do you agree that pineapple has a place on pizza?
- Do people say you look like a certain celebrity?
- Do you still have a hobby that you had as a child?
- Do you keep a journal or diary?
- Are there any foods you will never touch?
- Are there other intelligent life forms in the vastness of the universe?
- Are you good at keeping secrets?
- Would you eat a live spider for a hundred dollars?
- Was there ever a time you cried yourself to sleep?
For Office Friends
According to a report by the American Institute of Stress (AIS), as much as 83% of workers in the US suffer from work-related stress. And around 25% of them say that their job is the leading stressor in their lives. The report also adds that up to 1 million Americans miss work each day as a result of stress.
It’s a good thing that having good friends at work can help reduce stress. As a matter of fact, a survey says that those with workplace best friends are 7 times more likely to be engaged with their respective jobs.
Here are some yes or no questions to ask office friends during break times and after work hours:
- Have you ever been drunk at work?
- Have you ever fallen asleep at work?
- Have you ever sleepwalked?
- Have you ever had a crush on your boss?
- Have you ever sent a co-worker a secret love letter?
- Have you ever run out of your own wedding?
- Have you ever eaten someone’s food in the office refrigerator?
- Have you ever gone on a blind date but walked out the minute you saw your date?
- Have you ever been mad at someone because of a dream you had?
- Have you ever eaten lunch in the bathroom stall?
- Have you ever wasted an entire paycheck on something?
- Have you ever stolen anything from the office?
- Have you ever tried spending the whole day sleeping?
- Have you ever ended a relationship by text?
- Have you ever done weird things with your phone?
- Have you ever gone viral?
- Have you ever sung at a karaoke bar?
- Have you secretly had plastic surgery?
- Would you quit your job for a million dollars?
- Would you take a dream job if not communicating with your family for a year was a condition?
- Would you ever move to another country if given the chance?
- Would you consider skydiving?
- Do you have a secret crush on someone I know?
- Do you sleep with a stuffed animal?
- Do you have any tattoos that only a few people have seen?
- Do you believe that we have control over our own fate?
- Do you believe that we evolved from animals?
- Do you think there is a heaven and a hell?
- Do parallel universes exist?
- Do you sleep with the lights on?
For Little Ones
There is a child in all of us! For many, it’s the child in them that keeps them dreaming, believing in the impossible and feeling young and happy. Luckily, there are a number of ways to keep your inner child alive and kicking — appreciating small things, living in the moment, asking why, taking risks, etc.
Making friends with your young nephew or niece or the one you’re babysitting is also an option!
Below are some amusing yes or no questions you can ask a child — just be prepared to get asked some questions yourself in return such as why is the sky blue or why don’t fish drown or where do babies come from.
- Have you ever had cereal for dinner?
- Have you ever had a popsicle for breakfast?
- Have you ever eaten food you found on the floor?
- Have you ever pretended to be sick?
- Have you ever seen a ghost?
- Have you ever seen a UFO?
- Have you ever seen a shooting star and wished on it, too?
- Have you ever peed in a pool?
- Have you ever found a buried treasure?
- Have you ever played outside in the rain?
- Can you sneeze with your eyes open?
- Can you eat pasta with a spoon?
- Can you eat soup with a fork?
- Can you sing a song without opening your mouth?
- Can you wiggle your ears?
- Can you touch your nose with your tongue?
- Can you build a house out of Legos and live in it, too?
- Can you spell your name backward?
- Can you say the whole alphabet backward?
- Can trees talk to each other?
- Would you ever drink milk straight from a cow?
- Would you have a dinosaur as your pet if you could?
- Would you ever want to be a video game character or a superhero?
- Would you cross a bridge if a troll lived under it?
- Would you like to go to the moon for a vacation?
- Would you invite a clown to dinner?
- Will you still like ice cream even if it’s not cold?
- Are markers better than crayons?
- Do cartoon characters ever go to the bathroom?
- Is summer better than winter?
Just Before You Start Asking Yes or No Questions
It’s virtually impossible to run out of questions that are answerable with a yes or no to ask — there are simply lots and lots of them waiting to come out of your mouth and to be answered by someone.
However, it can also be challenging to think of as many of them as you possibly can in the right place and at the right moment such as when more and more guests at a party are getting bored or when you can no longer stand the awkward silence at the cafeteria table you are sharing with an officemate during your lunch break.
Above, you just came across 150 of the funniest yes or no questions.
Feel free to print them or save the ones that you like the most the next time you will be spending time with friends and you are known in your circle as a certified boredom buster.